Saturday, June 13, 2015

I Will Relay For Life!

American Cancer Society - Relay For Life

     Most everyone has probably heard of the American Cancer Society and different Relay For Life events throughout the United States and many other places in the world. There are more than 5,000 Relay For Life events that take place across twenty countries every year. You can find fundraising events online, at many different colleges and universities or maybe right in a community near you. In our county we do several fundraisers throughout the year and have our 24 hour event held at the city park. More than 4 million people participate in these events that help promote awareness and raise money for screening programs in different communities and fund research to help save lives from being lost to cancer.

My inspiration to join the fight against cancer...

     In September of 2009 my Mom went to the local emergency room with severe pain from what she thought was a kidney stone. To diagnose this the doctor ordered a CT scan which showed the stone and also a large mass on her adrenal gland. The kidney stone was large enough that the doctor said it would need to be blasted to remove it and they also wanted to do surgery to remove the mass. My brother's wedding was just a month away and Mom had to be there for that so she chose to schedule the procedure for the kidney stone but wait until after the wedding to schedule the surgery to remove the mass. She was transferred to a hospital in the city, about an hour and a half from home, for her kidney stone procedure. When the stone was blasted it didn't break apart like the doctor had hoped it would but instead shot back into her kidney. She was now not having any pain from it though so that would be a worry for another day. 
     In October we all went to my little brother's wedding and it was beautiful. We had fun at the dinner and reception visiting family and friends but it wasn't long until Mom was in pain again.
     In November we made the trip to the hospital for Mom to have the surgery to remove the mass from her adrenal gland. She was in the operating room for what seemed like forever. When the doctor came to the waiting room to let us know how the surgery went he told us that he was able to remove the mass, he thought he got it all and was sending it to the lab for testing. We could go see her when she was out of the recovery room and in her patient room. Mom had a huge incision from the surgery and was in a lot of pain. About three days after the surgery we got the worst news possible. Mom had cancer. At that time the doctor said he knew it was cancer as soon as he removed it but he had no idea what kind, he had never seen anything like it before. More tests were ordered including a PET scan to check for cancer cells anywhere else in her body, they didn't find anything anywhere. That was great news for us, the doctor had really gotten it all! I think it was about a week after surgery we were bringing Mom home. She was still very sore but healing.
     In December we found out the tumor wasn't just sent to the lab for testing but sent to several cancer boards across the United States where top cancer doctors could look at the tumor to make a decision what they were looking at. It was labeled as adrenal cancer which is rare. Mom's doctor suggested that she make an appointment at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center in Ann Arbor. They have a doctor there that specializes in adrenal cancer. We would be able to ask any questions we have and find out what treatments would work best for this type of cancer.
     In February, on Mom's birthday, we went to that appointment. We already knew that adrenal cancer is rare and found out there was only one treatment available for her to even try. The doctor there however didn't think Mom would be able to stand the extremely painful treatment, and said there was a good chance it may even kill her. One of the hardest things I have ever had to hear in my life is that there is nothing they can do to save my Mom... During this visit to UofM Mom was in so much pain that she didn't think she could stand to make the 4 hour trip back home. She was admitted to the hospital to find out what was causing the pain. There were many tests being done along with another PET scan that showed the cancer had spread throughout her body. In only three short months it was everywhere. We were devastated. Mom was put on large doses of the strongest pain medications they make and sent home on Hospice care. There was nothing more we could do.

Caregiver

     An LPN for 40 years, she always knew what to do and took care of everybody. Ask anybody that knew her and they'll tell you she was one of the best nurses they have ever known. I would have never thought that at 30 years old I would be taking care of my Mom in the last stage of her life. As a Daughter this was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but I'm glad I was able to do it. The Hospice nurses came on certain days to be support for us all, do certain tasks for Mom and show us how to do others. Between my Aunt, my Sister, my daughters and myself we were there to take care of Mom until the end. She died at home on April 24th 2010.


     I was at my Mom's house with my peeps almost every day. They grew up with her as a constant figure in their lives. Even though Mom was sick and dying I wanted them to be able to spend as much time with her as they could. One of the hardest things for me to see as a Mother was when Mom could no longer get out of bed because she was in too much pain and my peeps, 3 and 6 years old, would go to her bedside to kiss her hand and tell her that they love her. 

What does relay mean to me?

     I knew about Relay For Life for a few years before Mom was diagnosed but I never went to an event until the year she passed away. That was a very emotional time for me. Not only was my Mom gone but so was my peeps only Grandmother. I have a strong bond with my family and friends that will never be broken.
     I didn't actually start my relay team until a few years after Mom passed away when one of my best friends was going through breast cancer. I wanted to do anything and everything I could to help. I decided that I wanted to start a team In Memory of my Mom and In Honor of my friend, Vicki. She was a fighter and was honored to be a member on our team but in the end she lost her fight too. I dedicated my first relay to my best friend.



     This is why I relay. For life. For more birthdays and time that can be spent with family. For research to find treatments so more people can have a chance to fight and survive. Until there is a cure for cancer I will Relay For Life! <3 <3
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?